The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) here at the Cathedral parish is an evangelical ministry designed for the catechetical and spiritual formation of adults seeking to be received into full communion with the Catholic Church.
Our syllabus that outlines our formation and instruction through the course of the year essentially is the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Those enrolled in the RCIA program will learn
- what it means to profess that we believe in one God;
- who this God is in whom we believe – the Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit;
- what the seven sacraments are and how our celebration in them permits us to participate in the Church's universal worship of God;
- what constitutes the Christian moral life – the virtues, Catholic ethics, and so forth;
- what comprises the rich tradition of devotionals and other expressions of Catholic prayer life as well as how newly-initiated Catholic Christians can engage in an active role in the various ministries and activities of the Church.
Our primary text is the 'United States Catholic Catechism for Adults.'
For anyone interested in joining RCIA, please contact Deacon John Sicilia.